The Great Depression
A Section of the Franklin Deleno Roosevelt Memorial in Washington DC

I took this picture during the summer of 2003 while serving in inner-city Washington DC. On our day off we visited several of the memorials as most tourists will do. I've been to the FDR Memorial several times before. Without a doubt, everytime I go I see tourists line up with this sculpture to take pictures as mementos of their visit. This sculpture exists to remind us of a time when many were without work and therefore, without hope: The Great Depression.
I took this picture because of the kids. I didn't know who they were, but they were smiling and enjoying their day in DC like many others. Something about the innocent joy in these kids placed side by side with the cold, colorless, facades of hopeless men awaiting a chance to work was interesting.
What kinds of opportunities will these kids have when they grow up?
It depends on a lot of things...
<< Home